Sunday, September 9, 2012

Grand Canyon North Rim Day 2: Sunset Pictures

One of the fun things about car-camping is that you get to bring lots of extra little goodies with you.   On this trip, my goodie bag included a tripod, an extra camera lens, lens filters, tripod head adapter to take panoramas and several spare camera batteries.   I was ready to take lots of pics.  

So on the second evening of camping while the others were totally jazzed up for a sunset dinner at Cape Royal, I was secretly hoping for some clouds, a bit of breeze and a Grand Canyon horizon.  I got them all.

6-Mins @f/8 
4-Mins @f/22
Lately I have been experimenting with taking long exposure shots, particularly on cloudy evenings when the movement of the sun and skies makes for some interesting effects in the twilight hour.  

Here are some of my results of combining  sky, clouds, wind and sun. And having the Grand Canyon as a back-drop doesn't hurt one bit.






I am really getting to like these long exposure shots.  


I usually just take three shots at a time with the Promote.    Typically at 2-4-8 minutes, and hope for the best.   With the light changing so much, its all guesswork.  







Truth be told though - I shoot in raw+jpeg these days.   And with Camera Raw you can do so many things with a raw image during post processing.  And with these long exposures, count on doing  

4-Mins @f/11 
a lot post processing to get a nice picture.  But the results are worth it.


Traditional sunset pictures are always nice as well.   I took quite a few before the sun went down and I put away my camera and soaked up some good food and adult beverages.


Cape Royal at Sunset

Chillin' At Cape Royal
In my next post I will talk about my 4:00AM wakeup to take some sunrise shots.





No comments:

Post a Comment